Modern Norwich - Libraries
The Forum and Millenium Library
The Forum was a Millenium Commision Lottery Project and has become a landmark
building within the centre of Norwich. It was built to house a new state of
the art library, replacing the old Norwich central library which
burnt down in 1994.
The Forum project boasted a cost of £63 million and was funded by a £31.5 million grant from the Millenium Commision with matching support from Norfolk County Council, Norwich City Council and the business community.
There is something for everyone at the Forum. There is of course, the Norfolk & Norwich Millenium Library and a visitors centre - other attractions include:
- BBC East
- Pizza Express
- The City Learning Station
- The Learning Shop
In addition to the huge book stock, the main library also offers 220 study and reading areas, PC's with free Internet access, CD's, videos and DVD's. Specialist areas within the library include:
- Express - a fast self-service section
- Children's Section - learning for babies and children in a fun environment
- Business Library - competitively priced business and European information
- 2nd Air Division Memorial Library - dedicated to the
memory of American servicemen stationed in Norfolk during the World War
(check out their website http://www.2ndair.org.uk)
- Norfolk History Centre - information on Norfolk Studies and the Norfolk Records Office providing ideal research base for local and family history projects
- Origins - The History Mix - a new multimedia, interactive visitor attraction taking visitors through 2000 years in the development of the region.